Eating Plan for the first year of life
Babies sleep and babies hunger - it is (almost) everything turns after the birth of a child. In our eating plan, there are diet tips for the entire first year of life.
Feeding Baby: Milk in first through fourth month
Photo: © Mauritius Images / BananaStock
Babies sleep and babies hunger - it is (almost) everything turns after the birth of a child. Drinks it enough? Thrives it good? When will my baby needs other food than milk and which ones? These are the questions that preoccupy the parents in the first weeks of life and -monaten their child. Our "eating plan" provides orientation on major issues of nutrition in the first year. Especially at this time, the quality and quantity of food for growth and health of the child is crucial.
First to fourth month: Exclusively (mother) milk
In the first months of life, milk is the only appropriate food for the child. Any supplementation of grain, fruit, vegetables or juice is not necessary or desirable at this time.
Breast milk is the best food for the baby. Their nutrients are tailored to the specific needs of the infant. It also contains all the defenses that a child needs. Breast milk with its optimal composition is the best "life insurance" for the baby!
Today, there is agreement that it makes the most sense to breastfeed the infant as needed without frequent weighing. Drinking times and drinking quantities initially have no fixed rhythm most, but often play a time. Not too long application to the chest (max. About ten minutes per side) promotes lactation best. Supplementation of infant formula inhibits milk production. Normally, drinking tea is not necessary at this age.
More about breastfeeding you'll find in Urbia Still Special
What to do if the mother can not breastfeed?
First off: Almost all mothers can breastfeed. Only two to three percent of mothers there for information of the La Leche League physiological reasons not to breastfeed. And mothers who do not want to breastfeed, are often due to incorrect information - for example, concerning cosmetic consequences of breastfeeding - insecure. Contact therefore best with difficulties and uncertainties regarding breastfeeding a lactation consultant (for example, the La Leche League).
If a mother still does not want to breastfeed or must stop breastfeeding prematurely, the baby is fed with a pre-milk. These products are, as far as possible, adapted to the composition of breast milk.
Small introduction to bottle feeding
- Infant formulas with the word syllable "Pre" comes in its composition of breast milk next. It only shows lactose and is thin as breast milk because it contains no additives such as flour, starch or other thickening agent. It may be thickened by no means prepared or concentrated. Sometimes these finished milk is referred to as formulas, as they can be fed from day one.
- Infant formula with the number 1 on behalf additionally contains starch. This makes it thicker and saturates longer. But they can lead also more likely to over-feeding and obesity. These foods can be fed from day one. If this baby milk selected, the weight of the child should be kept especially well in mind.
- Baby food with the number 2 on behalf should - if at all - to be fed only from the fifth month, as they in their composition differs substantially from the formula.
- Baby food with the addition of HA (hypoallergenic) is - suitable for allergy-prone children - after consultation with the pediatrician.
Fifth to seventh month of life: breast milk - gradual introduction of complementary foods
While the WHO recommends to breastfeed fully until the end of the sixth month of life, there are now - especially with regard to the prevention of allergies - other recommendations, such as the German Allergy and Asthma Association.
The nutritionist Edith Gätjen explained in Urbia forum: "All study results suggest that it makes sense to start in the time window 17 to 26 weeks with additional food to delay the onset of allergies and celiac disease in time and to reduce the extent. However, the alpha and omega is the accompanying breastfeeding - at least until the first year of life, love and beyond."
Complementary foods introduced on schedule: Start with carrots
- Usually one begins to replace the midday meal. But only in very small steps. For example, the baby will initially breastfed a little bit and then put the tip of the strongest hunger so that it can engage in the new at all. Then are some spoonfuls of warm finely pureed vegetables (mostly carrot) without any additives. And in the end there is again the chest.
Amount of slurry: more than a few teaspoons. But be careful: carrot causes some children to blockages. As a vegetable for the beginning also, for example, pureed broccoli, zucchini, parsnips or pumpkin are.
- Rule of thumb: In each case, always introduced only one new food and wait a few days how the baby responds. Then (after at least a week) another new food can be tried.
- Has the baby used to the spoon, the next step midday meal is expanded into a vegetable-potato-fat broth.
Preparation: For example, mashed carrots and mashed potatoes are in the ratio 2: 1 and 10g oil (preferably soybean, sunflower or corn oil) or butter stirred under. Amount of slurry: about 150 to 180 g
- If the food goes well with the spoon, the lunch milk meal can be completely replaced by the vegetable mashed potatoes.
- The next step is a new ingredient is this: meat. The carrots and potato fat Mash the second leg is about 20 grams of lean, cooked and pureed meat (preferably beef) added at least twice a week and once a week an egg yolk. Amount of slurry: 200-250 g.
Baby Beikostplan: More tips
- is started as soon as the complementary feeding, the baby can also step by step to beverages such as water and unsweetened tea are used to.
- Ready bought carrot puree can be very well prepared with itself, mashed potatoes are combined - without spices or other additives.
- For the baby food only organic products should be used.
- Why meat?
Gemüsebreie with meat give the organism a better supply of iron as milk and cereal porridges. This is a significant advantage because the iron reserves of the babies are nearly exhausted towards the end of the first half of life.
- Basically belong in the baby food no sugar, salt or other seasonings! Salt loaded the sensitive water balance of the baby!
More on this topic you read our article: 10 issues in the Beikoststart.
Around the end of the seventh month: Another meal can be replaced
The evening milk meal is replaced by a milk and cereal.
Amount of slurry about 200-250 g.
Depending on how fast you want to stop breast-feeding a dairy-free cereal fruit pulp can be added gradually in the afternoon.
Amount of slurry: approximately 200 to 250 g
The Research Institute of Child Nutrition recommends be limited to 200ml and to meet other needs through infant formula or breast milk of course the amount of cow's milk (whole milk) until the age of one year. The Nachmittagsbrei can also be prepared without milk, though the Abendbrei is mixed with whole milk.
What to consider when finished porridge and baby food in jars?
- not offer the child many different Breisorten but be limited to three or four varieties.
- Menus with sugar and / or salt additive avoided if possible or choose products that are only slightly salted. Read carefully the ingredient list - what comes first is quantitatively contained the most!
- prefer paps with potatoes as they are rich in dietary fibers than pulps with noodles or rice.
- Obstmus should be composed of as little as possible different types of fruit.
- The milk and cereal to have the simplest possible composition: containing only milk, cereal and fruit and little or no sugar.
Bottled food should be heated?
Fruit preparations, cereal Obstbreie, juices and tea also do not have to be heated. But the midday meal should werden.Am fed the baby in a warm form most suitable heating is in the water, while stirring the broth from time. Short warm and feed immediately.
basically warm baby food only once, but no way to keep warm. Breireste should not be reheated! Opened jars of baby food can be kept limited (about two days): Therefore, a part units glass should be closed immediately and kept in the refrigerator.
Can Baybykost be cooked in the microwave?
Yes, bottled food can also be heated in the microwave. But beware: the heated food stir well before feeding and check the temperature. The child can result in burns!
Between the ninth and the twelfth month: Gradual transition to modified family foods
How much and what milk?
Breastfeeding can be continued for as long as mother and child wish. For mixing the slurries infant formulas and follow-on milk or whole milk with 3.5 percent fat content can be taken. However, the Research Institute of Child Nutrition recommends using at that age no more than 200ml Kumilch per day and to cover other milk needed by babies or breast milk. By the age of 18 months, the cow's milk amount can be increased to 300 ml per day.
Three main meals with more solid food
The first teeth want something to chew. Vegetables, potatoes and meat are not crushed, but only chopped. Still reluctance spices is required. As snacks still is very good fruit, but also as spelled bars and rice cakes.
The end of the twelfth month: Children can participate in the flavored family meals
For example, to breakfast about 200 ml of whole milk (3.5 percent fat), whole wheat or rye bread with butter, sunflower margarine, cream cheese, jam or honey, with unsweetened fruit, carrot or fruit juice. Or a whole grain cereal with milk and a little fresh fruit.
At noon, potatoes recommend with vegetables (different kinds alternates) plus fat plus two to three times a week meat plus salad and for dessert apples, bananas, pears, etc. Unsweetened fruit and herbal infusion, (low sodium) Mineral water as desired.
In the afternoon some wholemeal or brown bread, different fruit
Evening milk pudding from 200 ml of infant milk + 20g oat flakes + 40 ml of orange juice or milk from the cup, wholemeal bread with sunflower margarine, lean sausage or cheese.