Cycle, ovulation, fertile period
Who wants a child should know about about the female cycle, the fertile period and ovulation. To avoid mistakes, women can brush to have children here their basic knowledge over becoming pregnant.
Basic information for couples who want children
Photo: © Fotolia / David Pereiras
The female cycle
The menstrual cycle, fertile days and ovulation: So naturally these operations may be, and so little influence we can have on their expiry still: not only for the purpose of prevention, but also when women and men wish for a child, helpful to know about their own bodies well informed.
New: Fertility Newsletter
You want a baby? Our new fertility newsletter shortens the waiting time until the positive test! Subscribe here!
Cycle Length: What is it and how long does the female cycle?
As a woman's cycle is defined as the time from the first day of menses (menstruation) to the last day before the next menstrual period. One often assumes that the cycle takes about 28 days. However, this is different from woman to woman, the normal cycle length varies between 25 and 35 days. Varies of a woman's cycle from month to month by plus / minus two days one still speaks of a regular cycle.
What happens in this period: ovulation or no ovulation?
Many women wonder: When is ovulation after your period? And when a woman has her fertile days? Here is the answer: Every month the woman's body prepares for a possible pregnancy. In the first half of the approximately 28 days long cycle matures under the influence of a complex hormonal interplay in one of the ovaries an egg approach and dissolves after about two weeks from the ovary (ovulation). At the same time the uterus for possible implantation of a fertilized egg is prepared by the uterine lining thickens. Then there are the fertile days of the female cycle. If no fertilization and implantation place, the egg dies and is dissolved in the fallopian tube. The endometrium forms back and their top layer is repelled along with some blood: the menstrual period sets in, and with it a new cycle begins.
Cycle: ovulation and fertile days
Ovulation: When exactly after the period has to be reckoned with? The fertile period of a woman is around the time of ovulation. This usually takes place twelve to 16 days before the next menstrual bleeding, so the middle of the menstrual cycle of a woman. From that point on the egg for about twelve to 18 hours remains capable of fertilization. The cervix is produced at this time for the advancement of the male sperm particularly favorable mucus. Since sperm can survive in the vagina and uterus of the woman about two to three days (up to six days under optimal conditions even), the probability of becoming pregnant is highest when before ovulation has a sex two days. This is because it is definitely semen in the woman's body when taking place the next day of ovulation. On the day of ovulation itself, it can happen that ovulation occurs in the morning and the sex in the evening would be too late may to fertilize the egg yet.
Some women feel their ovulation by a pulling-sided pain (the so-called middle pain). Sometimes a very slight bleeding takes place at this time. Those who want to know more precisely when its ovulation occurs, can try this by using the temperature method and / or mucus observation.
Millions of sperm to the egg go
During ejaculation millions of sperm (sperm) are sent to compete their way to the egg. The mucus formed in the cervix, which normally absorbs the sperm in his impenetrable network is more permeable during the fertile period of the woman, so he protects and nourishes the sperm even so they average two to three, under favorable conditions, even up to six can survive for days. The fastest sperm already reached after half an hour to an hour the egg. but do not all sperm immediately set off into the fallopian tube. Some persist in small bulges cervical mucus (crypts) and then come only gradually found in the fallopian tubes.
Overall, only a few hundred come, some suspect a few thousand sperm ultimately the goal. Once a sperm has managed to penetrate the egg membrane, its surface changes so that no other sperm from entering. The fertilized egg is on its way down the fallopian tube into the uterus, where if all goes well, about seven days after ovulation settles. By the way: There are many women who are sure to feel the fertilization.
Attention! The most common mistakes of infertility couples
- The woman's cycle, fertile days and ovulation: The best time for intercourse with the highest probability of becoming pregnant is not the day of ovulation, but sex 2 days before ovulation!
- The man's sperm quality depends on several factors - among others, the frequency of his orgasms. According to the latest studies, daily sex does lead to a lower sperm concentration, but the sperm themselves are healthier and more flexible. Thus, daily sex for fertile time can promote conception. More than one orgasm a day it should still not be for the man, because otherwise the generative power of sperm decreases.
- Ovulation does not usually take place after the temperature increase instead, but the increased temperature indicates that ovulation has taken place in the period of up to 48 hours earlier.
- You can not directly determine their ovulation using the temperature method. Since ovulation usually has already taken place before the increase in temperature can be deduced from the previously obtained data about it when ovulation may take place next cycle only after a few months the temperature measurement.
- The mucus method for determining ovulation is generally underestimated. However, it provides strong evidence that ovulation is imminent. Assuming a woman has learned through a time of introspection to assess the nature of the cervical mucus.
- The timing of ovulation not necessary takes place to the middle of the cycle. When women have more of a longer cycle, including ovulation day takes place later in the cycle. Because the process after ovulation is fairly rigid and takes almost always more than 12 to 16 days. The procedure leading up to ovulation, however, is more susceptible to interference. Example: A woman with a cycle of 33 days, her ovulation probably around the 19th day of the cycle.
- If mid-cycle, the temperature does not rise, that does not necessarily mean that no ovulation has occurred. In any case, ovulation is infrequent always on the same day of the cycle. If no ovulation could be determined by temperature method, this is often due to inaccurate thermometers. but it may also be that it comes very late in the cycle to ovulation. Examples of luck curves in which it worked, check out our calendar cycle.
- A menstrual period indicates not necessarily mean that ovulation has taken place. In the circulation only parts of the upper uterine lining are so repelled.
- If it does not work right away with becoming pregnant, this is no cause for alarm. As part of a large European study has calculated that the probability of getting pregnant per cycle only 25.5 percent - or one chance in four - is.
By the way: Even if a child's desire and a pair of concrete trying to get pregnant, recommends the German Federal Institute for Consumer Health Protection to take folic acid. The body needs folate for cell formation and cell division. This effect is particularly important in early pregnancy to prevent certain damage to the child. The additional daily intake of folic acid should be around 0.4 mg and can so via appropriate folic acid supplements BgVV.
- The Urbia Pregnancy Calendar
- If the fertility burdens the soul
- The Urbia Ovulation Calendar